Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Making homemade tortillas

Yesterday, I tried my hand at making tortillas.  The ones I get at the market are so dry and the date expires before I get around to using them..I found this recipe on the internet..  It is so easy   I will never buy another tortilla.  Besides, you have everything on hand...No trip to the store to by Masa Harina...Don't worry if you don't have a tortilla press...I don't think I'd use one if I had one.              
 
      Tortillas
  • 2 cups flour            
  • 3/4 warm water    
  • 1 tsp. salt    
  •  2 tsp vegetable oil
  • (optional)  11/2 tsp baking powder
  This will make 8 tortillas
    
Combine the flour, salt and vegetable oil   (if you want the puffy style shell add the baking powder now.) Mix well with fork.  I leave it out. Now slowly add the warm/hot water, and mix.  The warm water makes the difference. It is one of the main differences in this recipe.  Now mix with a fork, until it comes together. Once it's a ball, knead with your hands for a minute or two. If it's too sticky, add only a dusting of flower.  Cover it and let it rest for 20 minutes.  Don't be impatience.  Now, take it out of the bowl and cut it in 8 pieces.   Set them aside.  Cover again, let them rest again about 10 minutes.  Use a minimum amount of flour, dust it on your counter.  Now roll each ball out.  Make them as thin as you like...or however you want them. Place them on a plate separating each tortilla with wax paper or paper towel.  Now on large skillet...lightly oil, then bake each tortilla on both sides.  Keep  then covered.  Use  them for burritos, wraps whatever you want.  

       

No comments:

Post a Comment